Search This Blog

Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Calling all techies...use your powers to educate the world!

                  These are the stepping stones to better education!

So, I realized when I came to Peru to volunteer for a womens shelter that I was in way over my head. I agreed to design a website for the shelter and this is definitely new territory for me. However, I quickly realized that since I was raised in the Western world, I am privy to so much more knowledge about technology and computers than most other cultures. Technology is a new subject that continues to change and innovate and even though I have trouble keeping up, I enjoying learning as much as I can.
So, where am I going with this?
Aside from the fact that local organizations here in Peru (and probably other parts of the world) crave internet attention, there is a need to teach it in schools as well. I teach an ESL class to kids and when I asked them what their favorite subject was, most of them responded, "technology" with great enthusiasm. This started to get me thinking, what if the privileged techies of the Western world could share their in depth knowledge with these children. I'm sure they would be enthusiastic to learn as much as they can, just as they are enthusiastic about learning in general. Children here who realize that education is a privilege do not take it for granted and they anxious to take advantage of all of it if they can.
So, here I am with a simple idea and a need for great support. I want to create a techies without borders organization, group, forum, or whatever to unite techies who have a passion for teaching and want to give back to others as well. Materials and resources might be scarce but the knowledge they have to share will make up for those shortages. I cannot call myself a techie but I do know many who take pride in that name. How about using your geeky talents for good?
The benefits are bringing the world closer together and showing others how to harness the power of technology and the internet are insurmountable.
This great idea only has great potential if people are willing to get together and figure out the best way to teach the new developing generations how to use technology for good. We can all benefit from this, so jump on board!

No comments: