Search This Blog

Monday, May 16, 2011

Bienvenidos a mi class de ingles


Ok, I realize that last post was quite depressing but I'm not trying to sugar coat what I'm doing. I also took some time to understand that suffering is internal and if we want to make things better we have to absorb the pain and turn it into love. As corny as that sounds I believe it to be true and plan to use that in my future expeditions throughout life.
That being said, I want to shift the focus to something more uplifting like where I work. If I didn't mention it before I am working in a poor (but culturally rich) neighborhood of Lima called Chorrillos. There an amazing woman named Nelly who started the organization in 1986 in her home. Coming from domestic abuse herself she realized that she did not want the same for other Peruvian women. With hard work and no formal education she was able to transform her small womens shelter into a safe home for women, a school for children and women of the community, and a chocolate company that makes chocolates and teaches women how to be financially independent through learning business and selling chocolates. I am so inspired by Nelly and her ambition. What she is doing is very progressive and I don't think there is another organization like hers in Lima.

With that being said, let's take a couple minutes to see the remarkable place that is called, Mama Victoria.

Welcome to my English class...would you like to take a tour?

No comments: